Due to the forest fire in the San Clemente area, in the municipality of Puerto Vallarta, the Ministry of Environment and Territorial Development (Semadet) activated an Atmospheric Alert at 6:00 p.m. for the city.
Get our news delivered to your inbox every morning. Click here to signup
The fire was registered last Thursday, May 2, there are currently 66 elements belonging to the Municipal Unit of Civil Protection and Firefighters of the Puerto Vallarta City Council, the Intermunicipal Board of the Sierra Occidental Environment (JISOC), and ejidal brigades battling the fire that is currently reported as under control.
The alert was activated due to the potential health risks for the surrounding population, for which recommendations are issued in coordination with the Jalisco Health Secretariat.
Citizens are asked that if they live in the area, or carry out activities near the site, heed the following recommendations:
- Avoid all outdoor activities.
- Close doors and windows to prevent contaminants from entering the interior of the buildings.
- If it is necessary to go out, use a mask.
- Take special care with children under five years of age, older adults, asthmatics, and people with chronic respiratory problems.
- Any burning or open fire is strictly prohibited.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid smoking.
- Reduce the use of motor vehicles.
- Heed the indications issued by the Civil Protection and Fire Brigade Units.